Sketchbooks - Karen's First Post

Hi Out There!  This is my first post!  I'm so excited and a bit nervous learning something new, but the truth is I love to write, paint, travel, and write about travel and painting!  Please respond to my blog and tell me what you'd like to see here from a life-long painter, teacher, and traveler!  I'm going to talk about sketch books and how you can use them in a variety of non-threatening ways to just have fun, experiment, document a place in time, and prepare a painting.  I like to take photos as well as sketch.  The sketch helps me remember the smells, temperatures, feelings, moods, and sounds of the place, and the photos help my visual memory.   Here are a couple.  Write to me about how you use sketchbooks or journals when you're traveling!




Comments

  1. And I am off to paint the world again

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love this. Thanks. My "problem" using my sketch books is enforcing the time to do so. I either have an anxious travel companion who wants to move on to the next thing NOW or I'm missing the little café with wine where I can use the table. I've done better since you (yes you) gifted me with a small book and some markers. It has saved me from a pocket full of sharpie sketches on used napkins.

      Talk to us about how to narrow down the scene into it's essence.

      Delete
    2. I sure am going to do this, and I've got some new samples from my recent travels. Basically, Kathy, here's a sketchbook tip that has really really helped me: forget about perspective drawing and just compose by putting in what you like, and it doesn't even have to be in the same picture plane as the other things you decide to put it. So I choose stuff I like and think I can draw well enough without spending loads of time doing the drawing! There is a book by an artist named Shirley Travena, and one of the "exercises" in her book is to take 3 or 4 objects you really like the looks of, and then put them into a composition that has absolutely nothing to do with their respective size. So you can exaggerate the size of one and diminish the size of another as long as they overlap and touch in interesting ways. It's very liberating! Try it! I'll see if I can find some of the ones I did like that and post them! ks

      Delete
  2. And I am off to paint the world again

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Karen. A wonderful idea and thank you for taking the time to do this. It will be fun to follow your posts.
    Brandi Garrett

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Karen, seeing your blog caused me to check mine again. Almost forgot how to use the as I've not been on in a while. You don't have a "follow" option, but I did add your blog to my Blog List. Looked at the new templates, and I like the choice you made. It is easy on the eyes and easy to read. Look forward to your posts.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment